Delegation check failed

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue Sep 20 13:25:03 UTC 2011

Can someone give me a better explanation of why this is saying my delegation failed than the FAQ does?

In a separate thread I saw this recommendation to another user:

I think the checking tool at
      http://dnscheck.iis.se/?test=undelegated
      may be what you need.

      You may find it useful to read the explanation at
      http://dnscheck.iis.se/?faq=1&test=undelegated#f16
      before running a test.

      Another good checking tool may be found at www.zonecheck.fr,
      but it's less obvious (to me) how to use it for your immediate
      purpose.

On going there and testing water.com domain I see:
Delegation<javascript:void(0);>

·         Nameserver dswadns1.water.com is listed for zone water.com without address information.

·         Nameserver dswadns2.water.com is listed for zone water.com without address information.
However, it clearly found the IPs of these name servers.    The IPs were entered at the registrar some years ago lookups of our domains work fine.   Additionally whois shows the correct IPs for the above name servers being returned by the Registrar.   My zone file has A records with the correct IPs as shown below.:

                IN NS   dswadns1.water.com.
                IN NS   dswadns2.water.com.
dswadns1        IN A    12.44.84.213
dswadns2        IN A    12.44.84.214

So I’m curious what exactly the above delegation messages are trying to tell me.   The description in the FAQ doesn’t really seem illuminating to me.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.
5660 New Northside Drive NW