BIND/named on VM

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Oct 16 18:04:41 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 1:49 PM, Walter Smith wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I would like to setup latest BIND/named [slaves] within VMware
> environment - is there any implications I should be aware of?
> Since I saw some issues running NTPd on VMware - thinking may be 'named'
> might have similar issues...

Nameservers are not that sensitive to time even with DNSSEC. TSIG, for
example, only requires you to be within 5 minutes. As long as you are
keeping your clock synchronized withing reasonable limits you should
have no problems with BIND. As others have recommended, VMware has
published guidelines on running NTPd on various host platforms running
on top of VMware and you should review these for your specific
configurations.

Danny
NTP Development