host versus nslookup

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Oct 12 17:21:45 UTC 2011

Many years ago, various flavors of unix began distributing a
utility called host which did almost the same thing as nslookup.
Host is what I use most of the time, now, and I actually thought
that nslookup on unix systems was maybe going away.

	A coworker recently asked me about nslookup on our
FreeBSD system and I verified the behavior he was asking about.

	Other than a different output format, what are the
advantages of having both host and nslookup.

	On the FreeBSD system in question, nslookup is
definitely a different binary than is host so one is not
hard-linked to the other.

	The behavior he was asking about was simply that all
foreign domains that one looks up with nslookup report as
non-authoritative since the DNS one is using isnot authoritative
for, say, microsoft.com or yahoo.com.

	This is not a problem. I am just curious.

	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer