Puzzeling about IPv6

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 15:59:27 UTC 2011

On 17/11/2011 15:13, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> my ISP <http://www.hetzner.de/> is now offering an IPv6 /64  subnet  for
> free for each Server.  Not only Root-Servers but for realy ALL!
>
> OK, however, I like to setup my VHosts to use  it,  but  I  am  puzzling
> around how to do this with bind9  (I run Debian)
>
> I have gotten this:
>
> IPs:     2a01:4f8:d12:1300:: /64
> Gateway: 2a01:4f8:d12:1300::1 /64
> Verwendbare IP-Adressen:
> 2a01:4f8:d12:1300::2 bis 2a01:4f8:d12:1300:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff
>
> sounds very much!
>
> Question: How should I choose the IPs?

i) Use SLAAC -- your host will generate itself an IP from its MAC
address plus the network prefix obtained from the router.  You'll have
to confirm with Hetzner that they support this: I can't imagine that
they wouldn't.

ii) There's also DHCP6, but I think you'ld probably have to set up your
own dhcp6 server.  Try asking on the dhcp list if you need more info
about this.

iii) Just make one up, randomly.

# perl -le "for (1..4) { printf ':%x', rand(65536); } print;"
:dbc3:b0f9:28fa:2235

(adding your network prefix to that is left as an exercise)

Oh, and given you've got 64bits to play with, so long as your random
numbers are up to scratch no need to worry about collisions.  You'ld
need to be assigning millions of addresses before you ran into that problem.

iv) Any other way you can think of

None of these methods are anything much to do with bind -- that only
comes in once you've decided which IP to use, since then you'll need to
enter it into a zone file somehow and publish it in the DNS so the world
can find your servers.  This is exactly the same problem as for IPv4,
except with a larger address space.  DDNS is a good solution, but
maintaining zonefiles with a text editor also works.  See arpaname(1)
for how to convert the IP number into a PTR record for reverse lookups.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3