Help to solve ROOT DNS query

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Mar 30 08:02:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 01:04:24PM +0530,
 babu dheen <babudheen at yahoo.co.in> wrote
 a message of 43 lines which said:

>  We are using Microsoft AD server as DNS server

This is a BIND list so if you use another software, you are in the
wrong place.

> firewall logs shows that internal AD servers is contacting root DNS
> servers parallelly.

I assume the AD servers attempt priming (checking at startup that the
list of root name servers they have is not stale). In BIND, you would
solve the problem with the directive "forward-only" (forwarders are
not exclusive in BIND) but, as I said, this is not a Microsoft AD
list...