nameserver registration

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Sat Jun 18 17:13:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, June 18, 2011 18:34, Lyle Giese wrote:
> On 06/18/11 10:21, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
>> That is weird.
>>
>> When I use my own NSes under my own domain, I need to reg them to .org
>> NSes, when I use my registrars NSes I don't.
>>
>> There does not seem to be any technical reason for your scenario (imho).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> -Sven
>>
>> P.S.: A direct glue of course could reduce the lookup path length and
>> save
>> resources.
>>
>> On Sat, June 18, 2011 16:30, Jorg W. wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> given my domain name is example.net, and my NS servers for example.net
>>> are:
>>>
>>> ns1.example.com
>>> ns2.example.com
>>>
>>> But, example.com itself's NS servers are the registrator's (for
>>> example, godaddy's).
>>>
>>> Under this case, I don't need any glue for ns[1-2].example.com.
>>> But why I still need to register them in the .com NS servers?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>
> When using someone's name servers, it is THEIR responsibility to make
> sure proper glue records are generated.  When it's your name servers,
> you are required to register them.

You are right, I didn't catch the glue was supposed to be in .com wehere
the NSes are, which are someone else's - doh - I expect that someone who
providers nameservers takes care of gluing them appropriately, so it can
work.

> My domain is lcrcomputer.com.  if I use ns1 and ns2.lcrcomputer.com as
> my name servers and do not have glue records for them in the .com root
> servers, how is anyone going to find the name servers for my domain?

You are absolutely right, a small misreading in the scenario, my .org
servers are of course glued in .org, if I had used all the NSes of the
registrar (in .net, .com whatsoever), those of course would be glued in
their corresponding parent zones. I expected that to be obvious and clear,
as I said, I misread the scenario in the end and assumed that provided
NSes are properly glued by their operators.
> But in the example given, whoever owns example.com needs to create the
> glue records by registering ns1 and ns2.example.com as name servers.
> And if the owner of example.net does not make sure the name servers they
> want to use are not registered, then they should not be wondering why
> others will have trouble resolving example.net.

Agreed at some point we need glue and wherever a full delegation of a
subzone is done, we need to have glue, no doubt ;-).