nameserver registration

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Jun 18 16:34:18 UTC 2011

On 06/18/11 10:21, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> That is weird.
>
> When I use my own NSes under my own domain, I need to reg them to .org
> NSes, when I use my registrars NSes I don't.
>
> There does not seem to be any technical reason for your scenario (imho).
>
> Regards
>
> -Sven
>
> P.S.: A direct glue of course could reduce the lookup path length and save
> resources.
>
> On Sat, June 18, 2011 16:30, Jorg W. wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> given my domain name is example.net, and my NS servers for example.net
>> are:
>>
>> ns1.example.com
>> ns2.example.com
>>
>> But, example.com itself's NS servers are the registrator's (for
>> example, godaddy's).
>>
>> Under this case, I don't need any glue for ns[1-2].example.com.
>> But why I still need to register them in the .com NS servers?
>>
>> Thanks.

When using someone's name servers, it is THEIR responsibility to make
sure proper glue records are generated.  When it's your name servers,
you are required to register them.

My domain is lcrcomputer.com.  if I use ns1 and ns2.lcrcomputer.com as
my name servers and do not have glue records for them in the .com root
servers, how is anyone going to find the name servers for my domain?

But in the example given, whoever owns example.com needs to create the
glue records by registering ns1 and ns2.example.com as name servers.
And if the owner of example.net does not make sure the name servers they
want to use are not registered, then they should not be wondering why
others will have trouble resolving example.net.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.