BIND 9.8.0b1 Released Today

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jan 24 13:02:55 UTC 2011

On 24.01.11 11:58, Cathy Almond wrote:
> With forward zones, the server sends a recursive query and expects 'the
> answer' in return.  Other queries are handled iteratively by sending
> non-recursive queries to authoritative nameservers - that includes those
> for both stub and static-stub zones.
>
> (Conceptually, it's an explicit 'override' for the published nameserver
> information for when named needs to send queries to the authoritative
> nameservers for that zone).

so, iiuc, the difference is that "type forward" sends queries with RD bit
set, while "type static-stub" sends them with RD cleared... and
the "forward first" option appears to be applicable only in forward zones.

did I get it right?

I use forward zones for blacklists - while I mirror some locally, but when my
mirror fails, the usual resolution takes place.

If I'm right, this is not possible with "type static-stub" zones.

I wonder, what are expected usages for this kinds of zones?
Maybe blacklists, if we have local mirrors and traffic so high that we'd get
blocked imediately?

The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95