BIND 9.8.0b1 Released Today

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Mon Jan 24 11:58:48 UTC 2011

On 24/01/11 10:56, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 21.01.11 10:45, Sue Graves wrote:
>>     * BIND now supports a new zone type, static-stub. This allows the
>> administrator of a recursive nameserver to force queries for a
>> particular zone to go to IP addresses of the administrator's choosing,
>> on a per zone basis, both globally or per view. I.e. if the
>> administrator wishes to have their recursive server query 192.0.2.1 and
>> 192.0.2.2 for zone example.com rather than the servers listed by the
>> .com gTLDs, they would configure example.com as a static-stub zone in
>> their recursive server. [RT #21474]
>
> what's the difference between these and "type forward" zones?"

With forward zones, the server sends a recursive query and expects 'the
answer' in return.  Other queries are handled iteratively by sending
non-recursive queries to authoritative nameservers - that includes those
for both stub and static-stub zones.

(Conceptually, it's an explicit 'override' for the published nameserver
information for when named needs to send queries to the authoritative
nameservers for that zone).