How to allow set Host file dns query priorities in BIND

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Feb 23 09:46:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 02:38:19PM +0530,
 babu dheen <babudheen at yahoo.co.in> wrote
 a message of 61 lines which said:

> if Internet connection is down, our Internal DNS severs are not able
> to get the DNS query from ISP DNS server. Because of this, all users
> are not able to access many critical application hosted in internet.

I really do not understand. If the Internet connection is down, what
use could be the Host file since users won't connect anyway?

>  Now we would like to add those critical applicaton DNS entries in
> our internal DNS server HOST file.

Very bad idea. A maintenance nightmare. Do you think that, six months
from now, someone in your office will notice that Facebook changed its
IP address and you have to update the Host file?

> So that if internet link is down, users will be able to get the IP
> address of the URL through host file.

I don't think that the users want an IP address. They want a
connection and, if the Internet link is down, getting the address
won't help them.

> is there any option in BIND to give priority to HOST file before
> connecting it to internet ISP or local zone?

Bad idea, don't do it.