Querying the SOA timers

pyh at mail.nsbeta.info pyh at mail.nsbeta.info
Tue Feb 1 09:04:56 UTC 2011

I once wrote a perl script for nagios plugin and posted it to the list.
Just to check both master and slave's serial number to see if they are the
same to verify the zone data in every name server is correct.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use Net::DNS;
use Getopt::Std;

my %opts;
getopts('hm:s:z:', \%opts);
if ($opts{'h'}) {
    usage();
}
my $master = $opts{'m'} || usage();
my $slave = $opts{'s'} || usage();
my $zone = $opts{'z'} || usage();

my $s1 = qrsoa($master,$zone);
my $s2 = qrsoa($slave,$zone);

if ($s1 != -1 && $s1 == $s2) {
    print "OK\n";
    exit 0;
} else {
    print "CRITICAL: zone $zone sync error\n";
    exit 2;
}

sub qrsoa {
    my $host = shift;
    my $zone = shift;
    my $res   = Net::DNS::Resolver->new(nameservers => [$host]);
    my $query = $res->query($zone, "SOA");
    return $query ? ($query->answer)[0]->serial : -1;
}

sub usage {
    print <<EOF;
    Usage: $0 -m 8.8.8.8 -s 8.8.4.4 -z example.com
    -m  master DNS ip or name
    -s  slave DNS ip or name
    -z  zone name
    -h  show this help page