question about overlapping reverse zones

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Aug 10 00:58:24 UTC 2011

In message <CAB6izCFThHxhYuvf6V3HSrSXLP44bur5_zc3dPKEj3_aXr=dSA at mail.gmail.com>
, Christian Pinedo Zamalloa writes:
> 2011/8/9 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us>:
> > On 08/09/2011 05:52, Christian Pinedo Zamalloa wrote:
> >> I would like to know if it is possible to configure in Bind
> >> overlapping reverse zones.
> >
> > It would have taken you less time to try it than it did to write the
> > e-mail. :)
> >

> and I tried it before and it worked :-D.
>
> But I haven't find official documentation of Bind about it and I need
> to be sure that it worked yes, but it also had to work: That it's the
> normal behaivour and if it's a common practise of configuration.

Named will continue to use deepest/closest/nearest match when
selecting zones to answer from.  This is needed for built-in empty
zones (RFC 1918 zones are enabled in the upcoming releases following
the publication of RFC 6303) and for grafting on of private namespaces.
This is also RFC 1034 behaviour so it should be applicable to all
nameservers.

4.3.2. Algorithm

   2. Search the available zones for the zone which is the nearest
      ancestor to QNAME.  If such a zone is found, go to step 3,
      otherwise step 4.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC