Change Query Type on nslookup

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Sat Apr 9 21:14:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 11:42:28AM +0700, mee thun wrote:
> Good Morning..
>
> I am new member in this mailing list. I need help to change the query type
> in the nslookup command.
> The default nslookup using A, but I use ipv6 so the query type must use
> AAAA. I don't know how to change the default nslookup from A to AAAA
> permanently?

As noted, 'nslookup' is part of the BIND package as well as available
elsewhere.  In some of those venues, nothing else is available to do the
trick.  When BIND is installed, 'host' and 'dig' are available.  While
'nslookup' often works fine when DNS is working correctly, 'dig' is the
tool of choice for when it's not working or unknown status.

	% dig aaaa a.root-servers.net
or, easier to read:
	% dig +noall +answer aaaa a.root-servers.net

	% host -t aaaa a.root-servers.net

Or, to partially answer the actual question:

	% nslookup -type=aaaa a.root-servers.net
or
	$ nslookup
	> set type=aaaa
	> a.root-servers.net
	> exit
or even better, for several popular versions of the shell,
	$ alias nslookup="`which nslookup` -type=aaaa"
	$ nslookup a.root-servers.net
	$ nslookup puck.nether.net

That 'alias' command can be put in a .login or .profile or similar file,
but must not be put [in that form] in a .bashrc or .kshrc or similar
file where it will be run more than once.

Now, if you are lucky enough to be on a Linux or BSD or Unix or Mac
system, run
	$ man nslookup
	$ man host
	$ man dig