Bind 9.7.2+ Extending views with groups

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 17 00:24:17 UTC 2010

In article <mailman.498.1287259149.555.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 J. Thomsen <list at jth.net> wrote:

> The view facility is apparently only useful for several copies of the same
> zone and not for
> grouping zones.
>
> If a zone is not present in the first view matching the client, but in
> another view below,
> BIND will apparently return a response of zone not found and not use the next
> matching view.

You seem to misunderstand views.  They don't group zones, they group
clients.  A client can only be in one view: the first view that they
match.

Remember, views have more than zones in them, they also have options
like allow-recursion.  What sense would it make to fall through to the
next matching view -- which set of options would you use?

If you want a zone to be in multiple views, list it in all of them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA