Bind and blacklist IP file

Andrey G. Sergeev andris at aernet.ru
Wed Oct 13 10:13:49 UTC 2010

Hello Alans,

Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:52:15 +0300 Alans wrote:

> On 10/12/2010 03:44 PM, Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris) wrote:

>>> Vaguely related, are host headers - a lot of webservers share an
>>> IP address/many IP addresses and use host headers to 'display' the
>>> correct website.
>>>
>>> You wouldn't be able to browse a particular website hosted in this
>>> fashion, by IP address.
>>
>> If you know the website domain and the corresponding IP address and
>> if your ISP prevents you from accessing this website by timing out
>> or tampering DNS query results you can always put the entry like
>>
>> 192.168.10.20   www.domain.tld.
>>
>> to your hosts file and access the site.
>>
>> This technique is also in use when someone needs to access the site
>> which is on a not delegated domains.
>>
> Even this way, you should know all the IP of subdomains to work
> properly. Try it for facebook, open homepage fine but once you login
> it will fail.

If you can query at least one of the authoritative NS for the domain in
question then you would have no problems determining the IP addresses
you might need.

> Another thing, we are talking about a technical person, for other
> users they don't know about hosts file or they don't have access to
> change it even it they know about it.

Sure but please don't forget about the average level of computer skills
of the audience the most "underground" sites have.

--

Yours sincerely,

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)     http://www.andris.name/