Bind and blacklist IP file

Alans alans002 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:52:15 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 03:44 PM, Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris) wrote:
> Hello Ian,
>

> Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:54:19 +0100 "Ian Tait" wrote:
>
>>> Ok, but you can always browse by IP address and in this case there
>>> is no DNS server than can stop you from browsing what you want.
>>
>> Vaguely related, are host headers - a lot of webservers share an IP
>> address/many IP addresses and use host headers to 'display' the
>> correct website.
>>
>> You wouldn't be able to browse a particular website hosted in this
>> fashion, by IP address.
>
> If you know the website domain and the corresponding IP address and if
> your ISP prevents you from accessing this website by timing out or
> tampering DNS query results you can always put the entry like
>
> 192.168.10.20   www.domain.tld.
>
> to your hosts file and access the site.
>
> This technique is also in use when someone needs to access the site
> which is on a not delegated domains.

Even this way, you should know all the IP of subdomains to work
properly. Try it for facebook, open homepage fine but once you login it
will fail.
Another thing, we are talking about a technical person, for other users
they don't know about hosts file or they don't have access to change it
even it they know about it.

regards.