Best Practices Query Logging, On or Off ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Nov 18 20:19:13 UTC 2010

    --

    I have also been made aware that query logging can give a machine up
    to a 30% performance hit but also with today's machines it is mostly

    My question is :
    Do folks normally use query logging as a forensic tool or are most
    Bind installations done without logging any queries ?

    The powers that be seem to think the performance hit outweighs any
    forensic benefit...

That's pretty short-sighted, IMO. Query logging allows one to find
misbehaving or misconfigured apps/servers/clients, active worms, etc. By
identifying those bad actors and correcting them, you reduce your query
volumes, usually much more than 30%. So, at the end of the day, what
benefit is there, really, in flying blind about one's query traffic?

Needless to say, we log all queries here. We even have a subsystem that
collects summaries of those query statistics from all of our remote
nameserver into a central repository for further mining/analysis.

                 - Kevin