Best Practices Query Logging, On or Off ?

CT groups at obsd.us
Thu Nov 18 18:36:46 UTC 2010

I am looking for a best practices for dns query logging

Versions in use on Linux...
- BIND 9.7.1-P2
- BIND 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2

The minimum logging statement in my test named.conf (bind 9.7.1-P2)

logging
{
         category lame-servers   { null; };
         category resolver       { null; };
};

which I have tested still allows the dns (default)
to log to /var/log/messages

--
default 	The default category defines the logging options for
		those categories where no specific configuration has

I have also been made aware that query logging can give a machine up to
a 30% performance hit but also with today's machines it is mostly
negligible..

My question is :
Do folks normally use query logging as a forensic tool or are most Bind
installations done without logging any queries ?

The powers that be seem to think the performance hit outweighs any
forensic benefit...

Thx
Charles