Bind DLZ/DNAME problem

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 29 00:53:18 UTC 2010

In message <4C28C408.5070509 at knipp.de>, Klaus Malorny writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know whether this is the right place to ask, sorry if not.
>
> I am currently chasing a problem with DNAMEs: If I have a zone, say,
>
> example.net. SOA ....
> example.net. NS ...
> example.net. DNAME example.com.
>
> , I have the strange problem that this does not work in a Bind-DLZ configurat
> ion
> (Bind 9.7.0 with posgreSQL backend). For a query of "test.example.net", no
> DNAME/CNAME is returned, but an NXDOMAIN. If I either place the zone in a nor
> mal
> file, or place the DNAME record not in the apex, but in a subdomain, it works
>  as
> expected.
>
> This looks like a bug. Is this known, is it a DLZ problem or a BIND problem?
> Any solution, any work-around?

I would remove the following from lib/dns/sdlz.c:find().

                /*
                 * Unless this is an explicit lookup at the origin, don't
                 * look at the origin.
                 */
                if (i == olabels && i != nlabels)
                        continue;

If this works please submit a bug report to bind9-bugs so we can include it
future versions.  lib/dns/sdlz.c is part of the contributed code for DLZ.