Bind DLZ/DNAME problem

Klaus Malorny Klaus.Malorny at knipp.de
Mon Jun 28 15:47:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask, sorry if not.

I am currently chasing a problem with DNAMEs: If I have a zone, say,

example.net. SOA ....
example.net. NS ...
example.net. DNAME example.com.

, I have the strange problem that this does not work in a Bind-DLZ configuration
(Bind 9.7.0 with posgreSQL backend). For a query of "test.example.net", no
DNAME/CNAME is returned, but an NXDOMAIN. If I either place the zone in a normal
file, or place the DNAME record not in the apex, but in a subdomain, it works as
expected.

This looks like a bug. Is this known, is it a DLZ problem or a BIND problem? Any
solution, any work-around?

 From the SQL statements issued by the DLZ driver, all records of the apex are
queried and returned while executing the test case. If I specifically query the
DNAME record, it is reported by BIND as expected. Therefore I'd like to exclude
problems in the DLZ/database area (actually, we manage ten thousands of zones
and millions of records that way without any problems so far).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,

Klaus