Microsoft's nslookup Implementation Problems

Steve Shockley steve.shockley at shockley.net
Tue Jun 15 18:06:49 UTC 2010

On 6/13/2010 4:00 PM, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> Inspecting the query log on the name server indicates that BIND never
> services a request from the system running Microsoft's nslookup tool. In
> addition, using tcpdump in controlled tests, I find that Microsoft's
> nslookup implementation never sends any requests to any name server that
> is designated in a "server" command unless it is one of the default name
> servers that the system would normally use.

WinXP and newer sometimes cache results in unexpected ways, including
caching failed lookups.  Perhaps flushing the DNS cache will help.

With that said, I could not duplicate the problem on Win7's nslookup:

 > foo.shockley.net
Server:  server2003.internal.corporate
Address:  192.168.x.x

*** server2003.internal.corporate can't find foo.shockley.net:
Non-existent domain

 > server 208.67.222.222
Default Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

 > foo.shockley.net.
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    foo.shockley.net
Address:  67.215.65.132

(foo.shockley.net does not exist, that result is an opendns ad page.)