Split view - differing SOA serial number

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 15:19:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 23:02 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:

> Are you sure both views are actually getting the notifies?  You need the
> master to send two notifies, each one satisfying the match-XXX criteria
> of one of the views.
>
> If only one notify is sent, only the view that it matches will receive
> it and perform the zone transfer.  It doesn't matter that the other view
> uses the same file -- files are only read when named reloads (when it
> starts up or you do "rndc reload").

Well we changed things by creating separate zone files for each view,
but that made no difference to the original problem. However, you are
absolutely right, the notifies were only being seen by one view (logging
the notifies and transfers showed this).

> The other view will eventually update when the SOA Refresh timer expires.

That is exactly what we saw. The SOA serial numbers were different, but
every so often they would get 'closer' - this was when the refresh
occurred.

It has been a bit convoluted but we have the notifies working correctly
now as well :-) The zones show the same SOA serial number regardless of
whether inside the campus, outside, or at one of the remote secondaries,
and they remain consistent after an update.

Many thanks to people for the replies.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
University of Plymouth, UK   Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001