Split view - differing SOA serial number

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 9 03:02:05 UTC 2010

In article <mailman.1990.1278588398.21153.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are running BIND 9.7.0, and use a split view such that there is a
> difference depending on whether you are within our site campus or not.
> For all the other zones we support we simply 'include' the zone file
> into both views. Generally this seems to work fine.
>
> However, when checking the SOA serial number of our reverse zone we are
> seeing different values depending on whether we are inside or outside of
> the campus. This zone is maintained internally by MS Windows servers,
> and so our main servers (141.163.1.250 and 141.163.177.1) act as slaves.
> For example, at this moment:
>
> Inside:
>    dig 163.141.in-addr.arpa. soa @141.163.1.250 +short
>    ils009.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk. admin.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk. 3330257
>    3600 600 86400 3600
>
> Outside:
>    dig 163.141.in-addr.arpa. soa @141.163.1.250 +short
>    ils009.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk. admin.uopnet.plymouth.ac.uk. 3330251
>    3600 600 86400 3600
>
> Both views use the same zone file (which currently contains 3330257 as
> the serial number), and the zone is configured to use a single master.
> If I use rndc to reload the zone in both views, then nothing changes. If
> I stop and restart the whole named service, then both views have the
> same serial number. Why doesn't a reload cause the zone serial number to
> be updated from the file copy of the zone?
>
> When the zone changes on the master, BIND receives a notify and I would
> expect that to trigger a transfer of the zone according to named.conf. I
> would then expect named to reload the zone for each view it appears in.
> As such since this zone is in both the internal and external views, I
> would expect the serial number to always be the same.

Are you sure both views are actually getting the notifies?  You need the
master to send two notifies, each one satisfying the match-XXX criteria
of one of the views.

If only one notify is sent, only the view that it matches will receive
it and perform the zone transfer.  It doesn't matter that the other view
uses the same file -- files are only read when named reloads (when it
starts up or you do "rndc reload").

The other view will eventually update when the SOA Refresh timer expires.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA