bind says 'clocks are unsynchronized' but they are not

Niklas Jakobsson nico at autonomica.se
Fri Jul 9 06:33:10 UTC 2010

I assume this has to do with the transfer-format option set to
'many-answers' (this is the default of bind), so what decides how many
records goes into one DNS packet? Since it is a tcp-stream I assumed
there would be only one TSIG signature in the end, I guess I assumed
wrong.

So, if there a single TSIG signed "DNS packet" inside the tcp stream
would take longer then 5 minutes to transfer, the whole zone transfer
would fail.

What are the security implications of increasing the the fudge time to
say 1 hour? Is there some danger other then replay attacks? Is replay
attacks even a problem when you are running IXFR?

 /Nico