bind says 'clocks are unsynchronized' but they are not

Shumon Huque shuque at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 8 14:20:12 UTC 2010

Not necessarily. A zone transfer is composed of a sequence of
DNS response messages, each of which may have a TSIG signature
record (from what I've seen BIND adds a signature to every
response message). If each of those response messages is
generated, delivered, and verified within the fudge window, it
should work.

Not to say that there might not be bugs. I've encountered a TSIG
verification bug in BIND (going back many releases) which only
seems to manifest itself on one particular platform that I run
(Sun USPARC T1 with Solaris 10) where part way through the zone
transfer, BIND reports a TSIG verification failure. Clocks are
synchronized, and the transfers complete in a fraction of the
fudge. And running other software on the same box (eg. NSD or my
own AXFR+TSIG code) doesn't have any problems with the zone transfers.
I haven't bothered to report this problem because we're planning
to phase out that platform, but maybe this thread will prompt me
to collect some debug info and send it out ..

--
Shumon Huque
University of Pennsylvania.