Multiple masters?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Fri Jan 15 20:17:56 UTC 2010

Chris Buxton wrote:

> Every slave server needs the following from its masters (whether that's the primary master and/or one or more slaves):
>
> - zone transfer access
> - notifications of zone updates

OK.

> Unless you put in some special and usually unnecessary (and useless) configuration, the notification message has to come from the slave's master, not from the primary master (unless they are the same).

No, no useless configs I'm aware of.  Just trying to give the "outlying
slaves" a second place to go, should the real master be busy, i.e.

masters { IPofserver1;
	  IPofserver2;
};

Our architecture is sub-optimal (among other things, hardest hit of all
public servers is the master) and this is one more step towards getting out
from under that.

I'd love to have a master that wasn't even a published DNS server, but
we're not there quite yet.

Thanks!

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY