Multiple masters?

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:12:43 UTC 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Peter Laws wrote:
> Chris Buxton wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Peter Laws wrote:
>>> And I right in thinking that, on a slave, I can have multiple masters designated for a particular zone?  I just have to make sure that the slave that is pretending to be the master allows transfers, right?
>> Don't forget about the notify mechanism. Make sure it's properly configured and tuned.
>
> Glad you brought that up.  Should the real master be the only one sending out notifies or should the fake master do it as well?

Every slave server needs the following from its masters (whether that's the primary master and/or one or more slaves):

- zone transfer access
- notifications of zone updates

Unless you put in some special and usually unnecessary (and useless) configuration, the notification message has to come from the slave's master, not from the primary master (unless they are the same).

Chris Buxton