bind 9.7.2-P3 does not resolve www.microsoft.com

Torinthiel torinthiel at data.pl
Wed Dec 29 13:07:36 UTC 2010

Dnia 2010-12-29 13:55 T. Wunderlich napisał(a):

>Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I haven't found a solution yet, but
found something
>which got my attention:
>
>Have a look at the TTL of the following CNAME entries.
>
>What happens when the lookup lasts longer than those 57 seconds? Maybe
named will get
>in trouble then?

Wow, a lookup that takes more than 57 seconds? Now that's a loooong query,
even on a busy server.
Anyway, if you happen to ask the server second time after 56 seconds, than
that's more probable.
I guess it should work correctly nonetheless.

>AND what do the RFC say about those CNAME chains? CNAME points to a CNAME?

It's not incorrect, but discouraged.
See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1034, last two paragraphs of section 3.6.2

Torinthiel