bind 9.7.2-P3 does not resolve www.microsoft.com

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 28 20:05:54 UTC 2010

On 12/28/10 06:07, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> It's working fine for me from RHEL5 Linux DNS servers and from Windows
> DNS servers.

It's not clear from this thread whether 'dig any microsoft.com
@ns[12345].msft.net' works for anyone.  I cannot get it to work from any
of the msft.net servers on clients on the east and west coasts of the
US, with different paths.  If anyone can get this to work, *from* one of
the msft.net servers, that's worth noting.

I can effectively prime a cache by querying for microsoft.com NS, SOA,
TXT, A, etc., and then querying my cache for ANY.  The 'ANY' response I
get back from cache is 639 bytes.  A TXT query alone returns a response
of 494 bytes, including authority.

This looks broken on Microsoft's part.

michael