Dynamic DNS with secondary nameserver?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Dec 2 22:35:55 UTC 2010

You should have been able to use nsupdate or some other DDNS client tool
to add that NS record less disruptively than you did.

Understand that "rndc freeze" doesn't cause updates received in the
interim to be queued in some private area and applied later -- it causes
them to be *refused* and thus, for most DDNS clients, dropped. So it's
not something you want to do unless either a) you're sure there is no
Dynamic Update activity, b) you don't care about the updates being
dropped, c) you're sure your DDNS clients will recognize the REFUSED
condition and retry later, and/or d) it's an absolute emergency situation.

                                                         - Kevin