Dynamic DNS with secondary nameserver?

Sean Thomas Caron scaron at umich.edu
Wed Dec 1 20:42:40 UTC 2010

Hi Sten,

Thanks for the response; you made me re-think the issue in such a way
that I ended up solving the problem (I think).

I was going to copy and paste the NS definitions in the main zone file
to show how I had defined the two nameservers for the subdomain and
found that I had missed a period in there.

ddns.sph.umich.edu.		IN	NS	ns2.sph.umich.edu.
                   ^ forgot this!

I also had to rndc freeze the dynamic subdomain, go back into the zone
file for the subdomain, and add the slave nameserver in there as well:

ddns.sph.umich.edu	IN SOA	dns.sph.umich.edu. hostmaster.sph.umich.edu. (
				2007024415 ; serial
				3600       ; refresh (1 hour)
				1800       ; retry (30 minutes)
				2419200    ; expire (4 weeks)
				86400      ; minimum (1 day)
				)
			NS	dns.sph.umich.edu.
			NS	ns2.sph.umich.edu.
                                 ^ added this line.

I was a little confused because the dynamic subdomain has been split
off into a different file from the main zone file and I erroneously
assumed that the DDNS subdomain would "inherit" the NS records defined
for the parent zone. Limited experience with DDNS so I wasn't sure how
much of that ddns.sph.umich.edu.hosts file was actually being used and
how much of the magic was in the journal file.

So I will continue to monitor this but I think I am all set now; sorry
to trouble everyone with this query. Indeed it works with slaves, as
one would expect, as long as you watch the typos and keep your files
straight!

Best,

-Sean