www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov / pubmed

Hauke Lampe lampe at hauke-lampe.de
Wed Aug 18 12:40:16 UTC 2010

On 18.08.2010 14:31, Phil Mayers wrote:

> After a bit of investigation, it seems that the problem is a missing
> NSEC/NSEC3 record in the empty reply for:
>
> $ dig +dnssec @165.112.4.230 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov ds
>
> ...since the "ncbi" zone is an unsigned child zone, there needs to be an
> NSEC/NSEC3 record to prove the absence of the DS record, and have a
> secure delegation to an unsigned child zone.

I think the problem is already in the nlm.nih.gov zone. nih.gov contains
DS records for nlm.nih.gov, but the zone itself is not signed.

dig +dnssec nlm.nih.gov ds @ns.nih.gov. -> signed DS records
dig +dnssec nlm.nih.gov soa @ns.nih.gov. -> unsigned response

Validating resolvers thus reject the unsigned answer:
"nlm.nih.gov SOA: got insecure response; parent indicates it should be
secure"

According to the SOA, nlmdnshostmaster at mail.nih.gov is the appropriate
contact address. I'll put them in Cc.

Hauke.