Strange IPv6 messages [SOLVED]

Denis BUCHER dbucherml at hsolutions.ch
Tue Aug 3 11:17:42 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Le 02.08.2010 23:43, Denis BUCHER a écrit :
> I have a simple question, when reloading Bind, I get these messages, and
> later on in the logs, the transfer seems to work with IPv4.
>
> Aug 2 23:24:13 cirrus named[1581]: network unreachable resolving
> '(host)/A/IN': 2001:620::4#53
> Aug 2 23:24:13 cirrus named[1581]: network unreachable resolving
> '(host)/A/IN': 2001:418:1::39#53
>
> What should I do to avoid these messages, and why are they appearing ?
> We have BIND 9.5.1-P2

I got many private and public replies so I will briefly summarize the
answers and the solution :

At first, the problem comes from the fact that Bind is using IPv6 while
our system and network don't use IPv6 at all.

Therefore the solution is to remove IPv6 support from Bind.
That's easy, an option "-4" (IPv4 only) had to be added at startup.

I added OPTIONS="-4" to /etc/sysconfig/named and now it doesn't complain
anymore about IPv6 :-)

Thanks a lot to everyone

Denis