Strange IPv6 messages

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Aug 3 00:56:16 UTC 2010

On 08/02/10 14:43, Denis BUCHER wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a simple question, when reloading Bind, I get these messages, and
> later on in the logs, the transfer seems to work with IPv4.
>
> Aug  2 23:24:13 cirrus named[1581]: network unreachable resolving
> '(host)/A/IN': 2001:620::4#53
> Aug  2 23:24:13 cirrus named[1581]: network unreachable resolving
> '(host)/A/IN': 2001:418:1::39#53
>
> What should I do to avoid these messages, and why are they appearing ?
>
> We have BIND 9.5.1-P2

First, that's an older version, it's generally a good idea to stay
current with nameserver software. If you have any plans to do DNSSEC
validation now, or in the near future, I strongly suggest you evaluate
the latest version of either 9.7.x or 9.6.x. At minimum you should
upgrade to the latest version of 9.5.x.

Second, you didn't mention whether or not you actually HAVE IPv6
transport. Both servers answer fine for me over IPv6 (as I expect they
would) so I'm guessing you don't. If that's accurate, you need to tell
named to stop trying to make requests over it. Since you didn't indicate
what OS you're running, 'man named' is probably your safest bet to find
the answer.

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso