Additional records in A-Query

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Apr 19 21:27:37 UTC 2010

If the A records are owned by the target of a CNAME, or by the names
referred to by NS records in the Authority Section, then they're related
to the query being made and therefore not really "unsolicited".

To repeat: BIND doesn't have a way to include unrelated/unsolicited A
records in a response, and even if it did, responsible resolvers would
probably ignore them.

If you're so concerned about the latency of your client browser's DNS
lookups then perhaps you should redesign your website(s) to use a much
smaller set of unique domain names.

Also, I hope you realize that most modern browsers, as well as most
modern operating systems, implement their own name caching right? So
query-latency isn't as much of an issue as it once was. Unless, of
course, your TTLs are set unreasonably low. In that case, you're
defeating caching and creating your own performance problem.

A quick search turns up: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

                                     - Kevin