"shut down: operation canceled" on zone transfer

Peter Skipworth pete at argoinf.com
Mon Apr 19 01:35:43 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have a primary and secondary nameserver which host a number of
domains. Recently, the secondary has started failing to sync one of the
domains, and comes up with the following...

Apr 19 10:46:06 fw2 named[24065]: transfer of 'mydomain.com.au/IN' from
203.XXX.YYY.ZZZ#53: shut down: operation canceled
Apr 19 10:46:06 fw2 named[24065]: transfer of 'mydomain.com.au/IN' from
203.XXX.YYY.ZZZ#53: end of transfer

The zone file on the zone fails to update. All other domains (200+) are
replicating perfectly.

I am not seeing anything unusual in the logfiles on the primary - it
shows that the zone has been transferred.

I've tried making a copy of the zonefile as a test on the master as a
new test domain, and transferring that to the slave, and it works fine -
so I think I can discount any errors in the zonefile itself. I've also
tried reverting to a copy of the primary zone file from two weeks ago,
and this hasn't helped.

Anyone have any clues ?

Bind version bind-9.2.4 under CentOS on both servers.

Ta,

peter skipworth
argo open solutions

mob 0413 962 064