CNAME Issue - Whether to use CNAME-data or Response-Flag

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 10 01:40:25 UTC 2010

In article <mailman.1106.1270851311.21153.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> I would be asking operators of primary-dns.co.uk why they are
> actively cache poisioning.  They have not been delegated aaisp.net.uk
> so they should not be serving aaisp.net.uk.

They could be a stealth slave, hidden master, etc. There's no rule that
says that a zone has to be delegated to you for you to be authoritative
for it.

The address of primary-dns.co.uk is adjacent to the address of
auth.primary-dns.co.uk, the server that aaisp.net.uk us delegated to.
They may have all their servers configured as authoritative for all the
zones they host, so that they can use them as hot spares for each other.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA