Quick poll: Cache poison vs site problems vs BIND bug vs Windows neg caching

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri May 8 18:43:28 UTC 2009

Hi Wiley,

I did have trouble with cached negatives. My isp is breaking my aDSL
line at least once per day. When they had problems reconnecting I
lost connectivity for a day when bind could not receive any answers
for about 10 minutes.

Reload with rndc did not help but restarting bind did.

I experienced this long ago with bind 8.

Kind regards
Peter

Wiley Sanders wrote:
> Howdy all, we're running 9.5.0-P2 (fairly recent) on two servers that
> are recursive DNS sources for a medium sized college. This week, we
> had more than a few users complaining about craigslist.org and
> www.chase.com not resolving, and sure enough when I checked with dig
> one of Craigslist's NS servers was not working right (sending SERVFAIL
> replies).
>
> An "rndc flush" did not seem to get things working again immediately,
> so I stopped and restarted named. I don't know what was up with Chase,
> I didn't hear about that problem with that until after I fixed it.
>
> I am tempted to chalk this up to negative caching, but the default is
> only a few hours and by the time I was notified, the users were
> complaining they had been having problems with Craigslist for 2 weeks.
> Just out of curiosity, I tuned max-ncache-ttl down to 10 min, but
> max-ncache-ttl only affects caching of NXDOMAIN replies as I
> understand it.
>
> Is BIND negative caching on SERVFAIL responses as well as NXDOMAIN
>
> What's the behavior of a recursive lookup when one NS host is dead and
> the others are working? Does BIND try all of them or give up after the
> first?
>
> Our setup is pretty generic, except that  we allow the whole world
> access for authoritative responses but allow recursive access only to
> "inside" addresses with an "allow-recursion" statement. I suppose this
> allows the rest of the world to try their hand at messing up our
> cache.  Chase and Craigslist being high-profile targets ...
>
> I searched around and Craigslist did have some DNS problems last
> month, but mostly it was just people whining about it being their
> carrier's fault somehow.
>
> Well, I'll stop my rambling on about this and if anyone has any
> thoughts on the matter, thanks in advance,
>
> -W Sanders
>  http://wsanders.net

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana