"stealth master" DNS Security

Chris Dew cmsdew at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:46:00 UTC 2009

So you want to store data on the slaves which will not be accessible
to an attacker who has root privileges on the same slave?

This looks difficult.

One possibility is to replace bind's operations on the slave's zone
file (the loading and saving of data) with a hack to bind which stores
the data in a process-specific buffer (instead of a file), perhaps
with simple symmetric encryption.  The zone data would be lost on
reboot, but it would be non-trivial for a root-privileged hacker to
read the data, without reverse-engineering the bind hack.

Less exotically, it could just run a simple encryption scheme and
store the data as the originally-specified filename.  This may be more
useful if zones are huge in size or number.

All the best,

Chris.

http://www.finalcog.com