Adding records to a domain I don't control for anyone who uses my nameserver

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Mon Mar 2 18:07:36 UTC 2009

Unfortunately this is common in the financial services realm. Compliance requires us to archive all IM messages from google, aol, msn, and yahoo. Blocking it with acls doesn't work since the IM clients will resort to http and are pretty clever about hiding it. Blocking IP addresses doesn't work since they change frequently. Spoofing the dns zones are the only solution. The IM archive server companies usually provide email updates when some of the zones changes.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039