Newbie setup help

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Jun 5 15:37:05 UTC 2009

Hello to all.

While I'm a seasoned sysadmin, I must admit that
I've never worked with BIND ... until now.  I'm
tasked with setting up DNS on a colocated Linux
server.  Here's more info., as provided by a
manager, who thinks I know all about BIND (no, I
didn't lie to him.  He ASSumed, and I wasn't
about to tell him I couldn't do it):

DNS, we are using a combination of host files and
DNS from our AD system currently. Our internal
domain is "intdomain", our (primary) external
domains are "external.com" & "externalinfo.com".
Our internal windows machines need to
point "externalinfo.com" to our outside
production IPs at the colo but our linux machines
need the names to resolve to their inside IPs. So
I would like to have a DNS server at the COLO
that the RH machines can get internal addresses
from for "externalinfo"/"external" outside and
relay requests for internal to the AD server.

Would someone be kind enough to help me flesh out
how to set this up or, if there are example setup
scenarios out there, where I might find them.

I would be most grateful!

Dimitri

believed to be clean.