IPv6 reverse delegation

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jul 2 06:59:45 UTC 2009

In message <20090702083831.135ee95d.akolinare at gmx.net>, Akolinare writes:
> Hello,
>
> I want to configure a reverse delegation of a IPv6 subnet to a different name
> server. I guess this is common use for IPv6 to provide customers the possibil
> ity to manage the reverse resolution on their own. But as long I search the i
> nternet and books for howtos, configuration examples or help I'm not able to
> find anything. Furthermore I have to realize that it is quite difficult to re
> cognize which IPv6 DNS method is valid and which is out of date.
>
> With IPv4 reverse delegation was quite simple:
> 64/26           NS      ns.example.com.
> $GENERATE 64-127 $ IN CNAME $.64/26
>
> Is there any comparable use for IPv6?

	It's not needed as you don't need to split the last octet
	in the DNS name to match the amount of space you have been
	given.

	The address space given to you, as a end user site, will
	usually be on a nibble boundary, /48, /52, /56, /60 or /64,
	the latter only if your ISP is not following common/expected
	practice.  This allows you to have 65536 /64 sized subnets
	(the default size of a subnet) with a /48, down to 16 /64's
	with a /60.

	The zone name for a single /64 will be like something like
	"0.2.8.0.0.0.f.1.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa".  The containing
	/48 would be "0.0.f.1.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa".

	Mark