compiling BIND on AIX

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Wed Jan 21 15:04:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM, Jerry Kemp <seclog at oryx.cc> wrote:
> I currently need to compile (a current) BIND on AIX 5.2 and it appears to me
> that there is a little more work involved to get a successful compile on
> this platform vs. others that I have worked with.

Really? And why is that?

> Can anyone who is currently compiling/running BIND on AIX share any getting
> started pointers ( i.e. BIND only compiles with gcc, etc)??

We used to have lots of AIX 5.1 boxes for DNS. After installing gcc,
BIND compilation is simply ./configure and make. In fact, I just tried
bind-9.6.0-P1, and it compiled smoothly. It should be the same for AIX
5.2. Never tried with other compilers.

Today we only have several AIX DNS boxes left though. Most of the
older boxes were reinstalled with RHEL, and we chose to have newer DNS
boxes comes with it as well (they still use IBM Power CPU). We find
that it's much easier to manage and monitor that way.

Regards,

Fajar