delegating to 3rd Windows nameserver

Davenport, Steve M SDavenpo at mc.utmck.edu
Tue Jan 13 14:37:17 UTC 2009

Hello,

We have nameservers supporting utmck.edu and delegate the zones used by
Windows to Windows nameservers as follows:

$ORIGIN utmck.edu.
_tcp       IN      NS      pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec1.utmck.edu.
_udp      IN      NS      pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS       sec1.utmck.edu.
_msdcs  IN      NS    pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec1.utmck.edu.
_sites    IN      NS      pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec1.utmck.edu.
pri1        IN       A        165.6.12.12
sec1      IN       A        165.6.14.13

We want to add a sec2.utmck.edu server and would like to delegate to it
as:
$ORIGIN utmck.edu.
_tcp       IN      NS      pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec2.utmck.edu.
_udp      IN      NS      pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS       sec1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec2.utmck.edu.
_msdcs  IN      NS    pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec2.utmck.edu.
_sites    IN      NS      pri1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec1.utmck.edu.
             IN      NS      sec2.utmck.edu.
pri1        IN       A        165.6.12.12
sec1      IN       A        165.6.14.13
sec2      IN       A        172.16.9.15

When I do a nslookup or dig I only see the first two servers and not
sec2:
--------------------------
ns-1: nslookup
> set type=ns
> _tcp.utmck.edu

Non-authoritative answer:
_tcp.utmck.edu  nameserver = pri1.utmck.edu
_tcp.utmck.edu  nameserver = sec1.utmck.edu

pri1.utmck.edu       internet address = 165.6.12.12
sec1.utmck.edu      internet address = 165.6.14.13

Is there anything wrong with this configuration? Why is the sec2 server
not seen
in the query for nameservers?

Thanks very much for your assistance.
Steve