Any options in named.conf to force recursion?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 13 03:23:34 UTC 2009

In article <gkgeld$1ur2$1 at sf1.isc.org>, anand.bapat at gmail.com wrote:

> I know that by default recursion is yes (recursion yes; ). I would
> like to know if it is possible to enforce recursion for all the DNS
> queries going out of the host on which the named is configured.

Do you mean that when it sends out queries, it should always send them
as recursive queries?

named sends recursive queries when it's following a forwarders setting,
it sends non-recursive queries when it's following delegations.  I don't
think there's any way to change either of these.  NS records are
supposed to point to authoritative servers, so there's no reason to send
these as recursive (many, if not most, authoritative servers have
recursion disabled, so sending them recursive queries is pointless).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA