Issues in delegating to subdomain owned by other company

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Jan 10 22:55:03 UTC 2009

In message <937b61bf-c12f-4498-b20c-8cd5613bd25f at z1g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
blrmaani writes:
> I have configured my named (BIND-9) to delegate a subdomain owned by
> our partner company. The queries in the subdomain are failing
> intermittently.
>
> Our partner company IT team is not ready to reveal their DNS
> configuration.
>
> When we delegate a subdomain, should the nameserver to which we
> delegate
> be AUTHORITATIVE?

	Not should, MUST be authoritative.  It MUST return responses
	with "aa" set in the flags to non-reqursive queries for
	names within the delegated namespace or it MUST return a
	referral to nameservers which in turn are authoritative for
	the sub-delegated namespace.

	Note: queries for the SOA record at the delegation MUST return
	the SOA record with "aa" set.  There is no horizontal delegation
	in the DNS.

> What happens if the nameserver to which we delegate the subdomain is a
> NON-AUTHORITATIVE nameserver (eg., cache-only name server ). ?

	It won't work.

> Could this be the reason for failure?

	Yes.