negative cache TTLs

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães leolistas at solutti.com.br
Fri Jan 9 18:00:35 UTC 2009

    Hi,

    Today, for some unknown reason, one of my servers which is running a
local DNS caching server (bind 9.5.0-P2) was answering SERVFAIL for a
specific host which i know exists and was working fine.

    Maybe it was some temporary fail, some temporary internet connection
problem ......... anyway, it was returning SERVFAIL and even after
minutes it was returning that. From other servers, i could successfully
resolve that name.

    i had to stop/start bind to make it resolves that name correctly again.

    Question ....... which parameters are used to control the TTL of
this 'failed' answers ?? I'm already running with:

        max-ncache-ttl 30;
        max-cache-ttl 7200;

    i tought ncache-ttl would control these failed answers, but seems it
didnt .......

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues