Fresh (non cached) dig

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 5 15:26:47 UTC 2009

I'm imagining you want a way to make dig act like the caching
nameserver and do what it would do and show you the answer.
dig +trace does something similar to this.  There is no nameserver
operation
that dig could do to tell a caching nameserver to act differently
for one query.  You could clear the nameserver's cache, or even
clear the one name you are interested in out of the cache.

Sometimes querying another name in the domain you are interested
in is sufficient for whatever you are checking.

In certain situations, it can be very helpful to check someone else's
caching nameserver, so it is helpful to have a few such addresses
on hand.  These days, a lot of sites are closing their caching servers
(go figure!),
and I've been using OpenDNS's servers.