Fresh (non cached) dig

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jan 5 04:44:48 UTC 2009

Stephen Ward wrote:
> For all my attempts to read the manual on DIG I can't find a way to do
> something really simple.
>
> Is there a way to dig a domain name so even if the results are in cache,
> it will ignore these and re-read them? It's really from a testing
> perspective I'm looking at this. I can mash the keyboard each time to try
> and get a better handle on the query time, but there has got to be an
> easy way to do this?

What are you trying to measure? If you're trying to measure the query
time from the resolving name server to the authoritative name server,
run dig on the host running the resolver and query the authoritative
host directly.

If you're trying to measure the query time between you and the
resolver, you don't care if the answer has been cached or not.

hth,

Doug