Fresh (non cached) dig

Stephen Ward stephen.usenet.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 07:47:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:16:35 -0800, wes wrote:

> --===============3579383764054783402== Content-Type:
> multipart/alternative;
> 	boundary="----=_Part_21674_19533272.1230941795123"
>
> ------=_Part_21674_19533272.1230941795123 Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
> If you're referring to your local system's cache, you can bypass this by
> specifying a DNS server for dig to query. use @dns.server.domain or
> @4.2.2.2(for example) for this.
>
> If you're referring to the cache on the server you're trying to query,
> sorry, that's beyond your control, unless you have root on that server.
>
> -wes
>
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Stephen Ward <
> stephen.usenet.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> For all my attempts to read the manual on DIG I can't find a way to do
>> something really simple.
>>
>> Is there a way to dig a domain name so even if the results are in
>> cache, it will ignore these and re-read them? It's really from a
>> testing perspective I'm looking at this. I can mash the keyboard each
>> time to try and get a better handle on the query time, but there has
>> got to be an easy way to do this?
>>

>> --
>> . . .
>>

> ------=_Part_21674_19533272.1230941795123 Content-Type: text/html;
> charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
> If you're referring to your local system's cache, you can bypass
> this by specifying a DNS server for dig to query. use @dns.server.domain
> or @<a href="http://4.2.2.2">4.2.2.2</a> (for example) for
> this.<br><br>If you're referring to the cache on the server
> you're trying to query, sorry, that's beyond your control,
> class="gmail_quote">On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Stephen Ward <span
> dir="ltr"><<a

href="mailto:stephen.usenet.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk">stephen.usenet.ward at wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk</
a>></span>
> wrote:<br> <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid
> rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">For
> all my attempts to read the manual on DIG I can't find a way to
> do<br> something really simple.<br>
> Is there a way to dig a domain name so even if the results are in
> cache,<br> it will ignore these and re-read them? It's really from a
> testing<br> perspective I'm looking at this. I can mash the keyboard
> each time to try<br> and get a better handle on the query time, but
> there has got to be an<br> easy way to do this?<br>
> --<br>
> . . .<br>
a><br>

> ------=_Part_21674_19533272.1230941795123--
>
> --===============3579383764054783402== Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="us-ascii" MIME-Version: 1.0

I had a feeling forcing lookups against other servers was all I could do.
Problem is, once you've done that it's cached there too. Not a major
issue, just wanted to be sure it was not easily doable.

--
. . .